Egypt is a country in North Africa. Best known for the pyramids and the Nile River which flows through Egypt on its way to the Mediterranean Sea. Most of Egypt’s population live along the Nile Valley.
Both the Sahara and the Libyan Desert can be found in Egypt.
Facts about Egypt
- Continent: Africa
- Capital city: Cairo
- Leader of country: Prime Minister: Mohammed Morsi
- Major towns: Sharma El Sheik, Alexandria
- Population: 84,474,000 people
- Size: 384,345 square miles (995,450 square kilometres)
- Currency: Egyptian pound (EGP)
- Official language: Arabic
- Major religion: Islam, Christianity
- Life expectancy: 69 years (men), 73 years (women)
Travel Facts about Egypt
- Climatic zone: Arid, desert climate
- Flight times to Cairo from: London 5 hours, Sydney 19 hours, New York: 12 hours
Handy Phrases to use in Egypt
- Hello: Salam
- Please: Afak
- Thank you: Shukran
- Goodbye: Ma’a salama
- Yes: Naan
- No: La
Famous People from Egypt
- Tutankhamun (1341 BC - 1323 BC) Egyptian Pharaoh
- Cleopatra VII (69 BC - 30 BC) Ancient Greek Queen and last Pharaoh of Ancient Egypt
- Mohamed Al Fayed (1933 -) Businessman
Popular Food from Egypt
- Pitta Bread: Round bread with a pocket to add fillings
- Ful medammas: Fava beans mashed and served with oil, garlic and other flavours
- Kushari: Rice, lentils, chickpeas, macaroni topped with a spicy tomato sauce
- Falafel: A ball made from chickpeas of fava beans which are fried and served in a pitta or flat bread. The balls are usually topped with salad and sauces
Animals from Egypt
- Parrot Fish
- Nile Crocodile
- Caracal (Desert Lynx)
Festivals/Celebrations in Egypt
- Sham al-Naseem: First Monday after Coptic Easter, annually
- Leylet en Nuktah: Payni 11th (Coptic calendar) annually
Can you zoom in and find Egypt on the OddPod?
Odd's waving the flag of Egypt. The red represents a period in history when Egypt struggled against the monarchy and the British occupation of the country. The white symbolises the bloodless revolution and the black shows the end of the oppression of the Egyptian people.
Pssst... Secret Facts
Click to unlock!
The Pyramids were used as a burial tomb of the royal family. Pyramids are said to have secret trap doors inside to keep robbers out. It took on average 20 years to build a pyramid.